If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- add 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- add 4 dried Calimyrna figs, quartered
- add 3 whole cloves
- add 4 (2 1/2- by 1/2-inch) strips fresh lemon zest
- add 2 tablespoons Calvados
- add 1/2 cup dried apricots
- add 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- add 10 black peppercorns, cracked
- add 2 firm pears, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges with core removed
- add 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- add 1/2 cup sugar
- add 2 cups apple juice
- Bring apple juice, sugar, zest, and spices to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and simmer 5 minutes. Add butter, pears, and dried fruit and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until pears are tender, about 25 minutes. Pour liquid through a sieve into another saucepan and boil until reduced to ‚ cup. Pour liquid back over fruit and stir in Calvados and lemon juice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cooks' note:
- • Compote keeps, covered and chilled,
- 1 week.